Historic Walnut Hill
1711 Old Hillsboro Road | Franklin, TN
Welcome to Historic Walnut Hill (circa 1850’s). This outstanding Greek Revival home sits atop the highest point of sixty six gently rolling, idyllic acres, nestled in the equine hub of northwest Williamson County. Privately situated at the end of a picturesque winding drive, this home has been described as “the finest Greek Revival home” in Middle Tennessee.
Features and structures in the manner of the original house adorn this unique estate. Guided by extensive research and commitment to accuracy, the main house was restored to the period of original construction over the past twenty years by the current owners. Original features include flooring, moulding, doors, some windows, and impressive walnut pocket doors. In addition, several structures have been added, many based on historic structures: Two barns, gazebo, guest house, pool house, four car garage, carriage house with recreational room, three car garage, stone springhouse, bridge, and “privy,” kitchen and garden shed. Surrounded by extensive gardens including brick and stonework and iron fencing with peaceful, pastoral views, Walnut Hill is five miles from historic downtown Franklin.
Some of the more Notable Features of the property include:
• Front and Side Entry Electric Gated Entrances with new driveways to the house and to the barns.
• Installed wide brick paths around the side of the house to the covered side porch, fountain, and gazebo areas.
• In 2004 the parcel in front of the house, also known as 1580 Old Hillsboro Rd. with 43.7 acres, was purchased by the current owners.
• Approximately 2000 American and Green Velvet Boxwood plant landscape design was assisted by Duncan Callicott; vegetable garden with fence, lavender garden and landscaping throughout the property.
• Reconstruction of the front porch with steel and wood Corinthian and pilaster columns returning the home to the original architecture design.
• Renovated Kitchen and all Bathrooms in the house.
• The Main Home features multiple living areas on the main floor along with Five Bedrooms, Four Full, Two Half Baths.
• Sixty-six panel Zuber wall covering in foyer and half bath named “The Scenes of America.”
• The Scenes are described as Boston Harbor, West Point, New York Harbor, Niagara Falls and in half bathroom is the sixty six panel named “The National Bridge.”
• Plaster moldings installed and faux painting. House painted inside and out. Exterior painted ochre yellow to resemble Greek Temples.
• The covered porch on the back of the house that connects the original house to the Carriage House with steel and wood columns was installed in 2003.
• The Carriage House was built in 2003 has a large Recreation Room with pool table and Media Area with fireplace, efficiency kitchen, and half bath on the main level and three car garage below. The brick on this structure was handmade in North Carolina to match the original home. This building has a new 2019 HVAC unit.
• The Guest/Pool House addition was also added in 2003. The exterior design is a replica of the front of the business office at Clifton Place (c.1840’s) in Maury Country and has an open bar, cabinets, shelving, and gas rotisserie grill. One side of the building has a half bath, and the other side of the building has a utility room with stainless steel sink.
• The Guest Quarters are located on the back side of the building overlooking the beautiful side yard. The apartment has an open spaced bedroom and living area, full kitchen, full bathroom, and laundry room. The hardwood floors were made from the wood of a cherry tree located on the property. The kitchen is equipped with stainless steel Kenmore appliances which include range, dishwasher, micro-wave, and refrigerator.
• Gazebo is an exact replica including the roof ornament from Mercer Hall (c.1820 in Columbia). The structure of the gazebo is steel with wood surround and limestone floor to withstand high winds.
• A Large Barn was designed to resemble a barn from the same period located at Melrose Plantation in Natchez, Mississippi.
• Utility Barn (All equipment is negotiable).
Exclusive Listing Agent
Managing Broker | Owner