BOOish Beverages for Halloween
By Gino DelSalvatore of Franklin Wine & Spirits
What do Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney and Bela Lugosi have in common? They were leading actors in some of the most famous monster movies, including Dracula, Frankenstein, Werewolf, and The Phantom of the Opera.
Halloween, or All Hallows Eve, was established to help remember the dead and the Hallows (Saints). Literally, the word Halloween means “Saints Evening,” which is a time to be festive before recognizing those individuals who have died and to be honored on all Saints Day - the day after Halloween. It is a time to dress up in costumes, attend Halloween parties and trick or treat. But, for me, Halloween was the start of the wonderful fall season, giving way to leaves changing colors, cooler temperatures, apple pie, homemade chili, and other fall foods. Then, it gives way to Thanksgiving, leading us to Christmas.
Halloween is not just for the young at heart but for the old folks as well. So, to honor this holiday, I have presented some ghoulish treats for the adult population. While M&M’s and tootsie rolls are for the wee folks, here are some delicious delights for you adults. Drink up…but also drink responsibly!
Monster Mash Margaritas
- 2 oz. Silver Tequila
- 4 oz. Blood Orange Juice
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
- Simple Syrup to taste
- Sprig of Rosemary
- Slice of Blood Orange
- Slice of Lime
- Gummy Eyeball
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake until well combined and chilled.
- Strain mixture over a glass of ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of Rosemary, Slice of Blood Orange and Lime and a Gummy Eyeball on a stir stick for an extra Halloween effect.
Pumpkin Spice White Russian
- 3 oz. or 2 shots Vodka
- 3 oz. or 2 shots Pumpkin Spice Creamer
- 1.5 oz. and 1 shot Kahlua
- Whipped Cream
- Pumpkin Spice
For the Rim:
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Crushed Graham Crackers
- Mix the Rim ingredients for the rim together on a shallow plate. Wet the rim and dip glasses into the graham mixture
- Pour Vodka, Pumpkin Spice Creamer and Kahlua into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake until combined and cold to the touch.
- Pour cocktail into glasses and top with Whipped Cream and Pumpkin Pie Spice.
The Haunted Graveyard
- ½ cup Bourbon
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup
- 4 Orange Slices
- Spring of Rosemary
- Spring of Torched Rosemary
- Pour Bourbon and Maple Syrup into a cocktail shaker. Add the Ice, Orange Slices, and Rosemary.
- Shake for at least 30 seconds.
- Add ice to a short whiskey glass and strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Garnish with a Sprig of Torched Rosemary for enhanced aromatics and flavor.
Witches Blood Cocktail
- ½ cup Cherry Schnapps
- ½ cup Vodka
- 1 cup Whiskey
- ⅓ cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- Cherry Soda
- Spooky Fake Spider
- In a pitcher, combine Cherry Schnapps, Vodka, Whiskey and Fresh Lemon Juice.
- Stir in ice and Cherry Soda over top.
- Rim glasses with sugar and garnish with spiders to serve.
Dark & Stormy Cocktail
- 2 oz. Gin
- 1 oz. Pomegranate Juice
- ½ oz. Simple Syrup
- Dry Ice
- Combine Gin, Pomegranate Juice and Simple Syrup, and Dry Ice in a large shaker.
- Shake for at least 30 seconds.
- Serve with a small cube of dry ice.
in all things wine and spirits - will treat you
to “A Spirited Conversation” every issue!