Williamson Medical Center (WMC) has been a cornerstone of the community for more than sixty years since opening in 1958. They have always existed to meet the health care needs of the communities they serve. The vision for Williamson Medical Center was, and still is, to be the preferred provider of healthcare services to the residents of Williamson County, and the acute care center of excellence for the surrounding region.
Today, the hospital is a nationally recognized regional medical center offering an array of specialized services with the ability to treat and heal the most complex medical conditions. The 260,000 square foot, 203-bed hospital’s expansive medical campus also includes, among other things:
• 22 state-of-the-art operating rooms;
• The Tuner-Dugas Breast Health Center;
• An award-winning Obstetrics and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU);
• Comprehensive emergency services for both adult and pediatric patients;
• A limited-stay children’s unit;
• Outpatient imaging services and;
• An orthopaedic center of excellence at the Bone and Joint Institute of Tennessee.
The hospital’s medical providers consist of more than 825 highly skilled board-certified physicians who bring a wealth of knowledge, experience and expertise to our region, supported by a staff of over 1,900 employees, making us one of the largest employers in Williamson County.
The number of patients treated annually include:
• Surgical Cases – 13,000+
• ER Visits (Adult and Pediatric) – 48,500+
• Patients Treated – 159,000+
PATIENT SERVICES PROVIDE
Williamson Medical Center offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, 24-hour emergency care, preventive health screenings and services offered by than 825 providers representing over 70 medical specialties and sub-specialties. Our campus also houses Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital Vanderbilt at Williamson Medical Center and the Bone and Joint Institute of Tennessee.
Williamson Medical Center is a leading provider of surgical services in the region. With over fifteen years as a leader in minimally invasive robotic surgery, we are proud to offer patients advanced, minimally invasive procedures to treat even the most complex conditions. Robotic surgery allows surgeons to perform many types of procedures with more precision, flexibility and control compared to traditional technique and allowing for less pain and a quicker recovery for patients. Williamson Medical offers robotic-assisted procedures in the following specialties:
• General Surgery
• Gynecology Oncology
With their highly trained nurses, board-certified cardiologists, state-of-the-art technology, and gold-standard procedures, our cardiology center has the ability to quickly diagnose the cause of your condition and provide the best treatment possible. Their state-of-the-art cardiac cath lab within their emergency department and Chest Pain Center ensures those suffering a heart attack have the best chance for survival, and fewer post-heart attack risks.The Emergency Services are supported by the most advanced diagnostics and acute medical care, including interventional cardiology, so you do not have to worry about being transferred to another hospital further from home. They also offer a 12-week cardiac rehab program to help cardiac patients learn to live and continue to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle.
WMC EMS employs more than 140 paramedics, EMTs and support personnel and operates 16 advanced life support ambulances. WMC EMS has been providing emergency medical services and related aid through a comprehensive county EMS systems approach since 1972. Williamson Medical Center EMS is now a four-time recipient of the annual “Star of Life” award for Tennessee EMS Region Five, is a multi-year recipient of the American Heart Association: Mission Lifeline recognition, and was most recently named the Tennessee Ambulance Service Association 2020 ALS Service of the Year.
WHAT MAKES WMC DIFFERENT?
A dedication to personalized, timely and informative care, along with a continued commitment to quality is what sets them apart. Williamson Medical Center has a reputation for compassionate care with a personal touch. Physicians, nurses and staff at the hospital work seamlessly to ensure patients receive exceptional care in a welcoming environment where patients are supported and treated like family. Specialized staff such as Breast Health Navigators and Hospitalists further support our patients with warmth and consistency throughout treatment and recovery.
The hospital is often the first in the area to obtain the latest in new technologies supporting advanced care close to home. A few of these investments include:
• Genius 3D Mammography
• Upright stereotactic biopsy equipment
• Lab Ortho Vision
• State-of-the-art Laboratory Services Technologies such as Bactec Blood Culture Instrumentation and Vein Viewer
• MAKO Robotic Surgery
• Da Vinci® X and Xi Surgical Systems
• 3.0 Tesla wide bore magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) system
Williamson Medical Center also remains grounded to its roots with a commitment to the communities they serve. This commitment is exemplified in a variety of ways including:
• Operating EMS services for the county, provide coverage at all county high school home football games and emergency medical training for Fire & Rescue first responders.
• Supplying dedicated athletic trainers and physicians for each of the Williamson County high school athletic programs.
• Providing instructors for two Williamson County schools who teach first responder courses to high school students.
• Our dedication to countless hours of community health education.
• Employing the physician and nurse practitioner at the Franklin and Fairview health departments.
• Providing 200+ free mammograms for an underserved population of women.
The medical staff has grown to more than 825 highly skilled, board-certified physicians who bring a wealth of knowledge, experience and expertise to our region, supported by a staff of approximately 1,900 employees. Those individuals not only provide medical care to our community, but they live here, shop and do business in the community and are raising their families right here as well. Their mission and vision have flourished in large part because of the support received from health professionals who appreciate the significance of having quality healthcare services accessible and close to home.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
The hospital is nationally and state recognized—ranking in the top ten percent of hospitals nationwide for patient safety in Spinal Fusion and Major Orthopaedic Surgery and for Medical Excellence in Heart Attack Treatment and Major Orthopaedic Surgery. Williamson Medical is also ranked #1 in the market for Medical Excellence in Heart Attack Treatment and is listed among the best hospitals in the Women’s Choice Awards for Breast Center, Obstetrics, Heart Care and Patient Safety. The awards place their Obstetrics in the top 17% of nearly 5,000 U.S. hospitals offering those services, and place the Breast Centers, Heart Care and Patient Safety in the top 8%.
Specifically, most recent awards include (please look at their website for the most current list of awards –some of the below are outdated):
• Recognized among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation, region and state in Patient Safety and Medical Excellence in Major Orthopaedic Surgery and top 100 in the nation for Patient Safety for Spinal Fusion for 2020 by CareChex®
• Recognized as #1 in the market for Medical Excellence in Heart Attack Treatment for 2020 by CareChex®
• Recognized as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics, Breast Centers, Heart Care and Patient Safety by the Women’s Choice Award®, placing the regional health system among the top U.S. hospitals in the categories awarded.
• Tennessee Department of Health BEST for Babies Award.
• Williamson Medical Center EMS Awards
• A four-time recipient of the annual “Star of Life” award for Tennessee EMS Region Five recognizing exceptional front-line care.
• A multi-year recipient of the American Heart Association: Mission Lifeline recognition.
• Named the Tennessee Ambulance Service Association 2020 ALS Service of the Year
• Williamson Medical Center’s dedication to quality and standards of excellence has earned the hospital full accreditation by The Joint Commission.
Additional accreditations include:
• The Patient Blood Management Certification from The Joint Commission and AABB based on AABB Standards for a Patient Blood Management Program to help hospitals establish a comprehensive patient blood management program (one of four hospitals in the nation to achieve this status).
• Medical Center’s Laboratory by the College of American Pathologists.
• Cancer Program by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons.
• Mammography by the American College of Radiology.
• Breast Health Center by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
• Diabetes education by the American Diabetes Association.
• The Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase II program by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
• WMC EMS is the first and only 911 ground EMS provider in Tennessee and one of six systems across the country authorized to carry and administer pre-hospital blood products.